xmen: days of future past deleted scene with storm/wolverine
oHMY GO LFCDSD
World’s languages traced back to single African mother tongue: scientists.
New Zealand researchers have traced every human language — from English to Mandarin — back to an ancestral language spoken in Africa 50,000 to 70,000 years ago.
Scientists say they have traced the world’s 6,000 modern languages — from English to Mandarin — back to a single “mother tongue,” an ancestral language spoken in Africa 50,000 to 70,000 years ago.
New research, published in the journal Science, suggests this single ancient language resulted in human civilization — a Diaspora — as well as advances in art and hunting tool technology, and laid the groundwork for all the world’s cultures.
The research, by Quentin Atkinson from the University of Auckland in New Zealand, also found that speech evolved far earlier than previously thought. And the findings implied, though did not prove, that modern language originated only once, an issue of controversy among linguists, according to the New York Times.
Before Atkinson came up with the evidence for a single African origin of language, some scientists had argued that language evolved independently in different parts of the world.
Atkinson found that the first populations migrating from Africa laid the groundwork for all the world’s cultures by taking their single language with them. “It was the catalyst that spurred the human expansion that we all are a product of,” Atkinson said, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Atkinson traced the number distinct sounds, or phonemes — consonants, vowels and tones — in 504 world languages, finding compelling evidence that they can be traced back to a long-forgotten dialect spoken by our Stone Age ancestors, according to the Daily Mail.
Atkinson also hypothesized that languages with the most sounds would be the oldest, while those spoken by smaller breakaway groups would utilize fewer sounds as variation and complexity diminished.
The study found that some of the click-using languages of Africa have more than 100 phonemes, or sounds, whereas Hawaiian, toward the far end of the human migration route out of Africa, has only 13, the Times reported. English has about 45 phonemes.
The phoneme pattern mirrors the pattern of human genetic diversity as humans spread across the globe from sub-Saharan Africa around 70,000 years ago.
This gives me LIFE from people who insist all languages (ALL no matter what) derive from latin bases.
Reblogging this for three reasons:
1) It’s awesome and worth knowing
2) It makes sense when you think about, you know, the whole history of human development (from a NOT white supremacist perspective at least)
3) To add that if anyone ever tries to say that all languages are derived from Latin [insert choked sound of disbelief and anger] you can inform their ignorant (probably racist) asses of this: Latin, as far as languages go, is an INFANT. It’s part of a subset of Indo-European languages and MOTHERFUCKER EVEN ENGLISH ISN’T ONE OF ITS DERIVATIVES. (French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, and Portuguese are, as well as lots of their related languages and dialects, that’s it.) Latin isn’t even remotely old enough to be a mother language. It’s like saying alpacas were the original dinosaurs or some bullshit.
I would LOVE to be some tiny little entity that can just sit on the brain of a white supremacist and see the rage forming as they read things like this. lmfao
THIS IS SO DOPE
1. when a black person has deducted the reasoning behind your scheme
2. when a black person rationalizes your reasoning.
3. When a black person wants you to know that they’re impressed by your.. Style, job, car you drive, project you’re working on, etc, etc
The walls from Attack on Titan, recreated in Google Earth and overlaid onto the USA and Europe.
Wall Sina (250km radius): 196,350km2 (75,811mi2)
Senegal, Africa: 196,722km2 (75,955mi2)
Washington, USA: 184,665km2 (77,116mi2)
To fly from one side to the other would take about 0:33.
To take a train from one side to the other would take about 3:56.
To drive from one side to the other would take about 5:00.
To walk from one side to the other would take almost 17 days.
Wall Rose (380km radius): 453,646km2 (175,154mi2)
Sweden, Europe: 450,295km2 (173,860mi2)
Caspian Sea, Asia: 394,299km2 (152,239mi2)
Japan, Asia: 377,930km2 (145,920mi2)
To fly from one side to the other would take about 0:50.
To take a train from one side to the other would take about 5:59.
To drive from one side to the other would take about 7:36.
To walk from one side to the other would take about 25 days.
Wall Maria (480km radius): 723,823km2 (279,470mi2)
Texas, USA: 695,621km2 (268,580mi2)
Burma, Asia: 676,578km2 (261,228mi2)
Alberta, Canada: 661,848km2 (255,541mi2)
To fly from one side to the other would take about 1:04.
To take a train from one side to the other would take about 7:33.
To drive from one side to the other would take about 9:36.
To walk from one side to the other would take 32 days.
WTF THEY DONT LOOK THAT BIG IN THE SHOW
well fuck. That’s big.